The Office of Student Scholarship, Creative Activities, and Research (OSCAR) is home of the Students as Scholars initiative. We are located on the second floor of the Johnson Center in room 228.
OSCAR and the Students as Scholars initiative provides George Mason University with the opportunity to connect students with faculty and to the research and creative mission of the institution. This initiative aims to foster a culture of student scholarship through increased participation in and celebration of scholarly activities. Students see their education as a process of scholarly inquiry, where scholarship is valued as a core practice of the Mason student experience. Faculty engage students in current and relevant activities, using new paradigms of instruction and active modeling of critical thinking.
OSCAR supports students through:
- finding a project and mentor
- internal funding programs
- opportunities to engage in existing scholarly work with Mason faculty and staff
- travel grants
- interdisciplinary courses
- the on-campus Celebration of Scholarship
OSCAR supports faculty through:
- finding students to assist with research
- stipends for scholarly work with undergraduates
- scholarship development grants and curriculum innovation
- mentor awards
- free memberships to the Council on Undergraduate Research